As of late, many food trends come out of social media. One of those trends that has exploded on TikTok and Instagram is "proffee", or protein coffee. Proffee is a new, delicious and high protein take on iced coffee that involves adding protein into coffee.
With many people starting to focus on their health and fitness, any way to get more protein in your diet is helpful! There are several ways to make proffee, there's no wrong or right way, it all depends on what you prefer. So, we're going to show you how to make protein coffee, plus give you the details on why it's actually beneficial...
Benefits of adding protein in coffee
A morning cup of joe already has its perks, like it boosts your energy levels, it's a rich source of antioxidants, and it's also rich in nutrients including B vitamins, potassium, and riboflavin. However, many people add artificial sweeteners and other potentially unhealthy ingredients that take their regular ole' cup of joe to a high-calorie, sugar filled drink.
So, how can drinking coffee with protein be beneficial?
- Adding a pre-made protein shake or protein powder in coffee can make it tasty and flavorful without having to use artificial sweeteners or sugar-filled creamers.
- The properties of protein help counterbalance the effects of caffeine, specifically the increase of cortisol (stress) levels after coffee consumption.
- Combined with the caffeine in coffee, a morning dose of protein can help start your day off right. And it also makes as a great pre-workout drink for those who workout in the morning!
- Protein is extremely satiating so adding protein in your iced coffee can help curb your hunger later. You can also opt to have an iced protein coffee for lunch as a pick me up to avoid an afternoon slump.
- It'll help you meet your protein intake and help with your muscle-building or weight loss goals! Most protein powders and pre-made shakes contain anywhere between 20-30 grams of protein. Adding an additional dose of protein to your breakfast or lunch will help greatly boost your protein intake.
How to make protein coffee
There's no standard recipe for protein coffee, how you decide to make it is a matter of personal preference. There are three main ways you can go about creating your protein coffee. You can mix coffee with your favorite pre-made protein shake, this is a popular way for those who need something quick when they're working or at school. You can add a collagen creamer to your coffee, which is also convenient, but it's not as high in protein.
The last, and best way, to make protein coffee is by simply adding protein powder! Pre-made shakes are convenient to add since it can mix much easily, but they often include a lot of artificial sweeteners, fillers, and additives. If you want to make a great, high-protein proffee with minimal additives then choose a quality protein powder. We suggest choosing one that contains at least 25 grams of protein, is a complete protein, and has minimal additional ingredients – and don't forget to choose a flavor that you actually like and mixes well with coffee!
Once you've selected your protein powder, mix cold brew, hot coffee, or espresso to have a perfect cup of proffee! You can even add a dash of cinnamon on top to add a little extra jazz. It's pretty simple and straightforward, but since we have our very own Protein Powder collection, we've created two recipes (one hot and one iced) you can try at home.
373 Lab's Perfect Protein Coffee
At 373 Lab, we pride ourselves in making high-quality supplements that provide you with only the nutrients you need – meaning we don't add a bunch of fillers and additives! We make sure every supplement contains optimal doses of the ingredients you need, so that you actually reap the benefits from them. This makes our Protein Powder ideal for proffee because it has minimal additional ingredients so that you're getting a high-quality protein boost.
We currently have two Whey Protein Isolate flavors in our collection – Chocolate Cheesecake and Cold Brew Latte. They contain 25 grams of 100% whey protein isolate that was filtered without the use of harsh chemicals to get rid of excess lactose, fat, and unnecessary fillers. We've also included a digestive enzyme blend for easier digestion and absorption. And it's naturally and artificially flavored, but we use sucralose, which is known as the best artificial sweetener.
Cold Brew Latte is already a delicious coffee flavored protein that adds the perfect touch of sweetness, making it the perfect addition to cold brew or iced coffee. While Chocolate Cheesecake makes for a different type of chocolate protein powder that is unique and decadent, making it the perfect addition to hot coffee.
Iced Cold Brew Latte Recipe:
- Use a pre-made cold brew concentrate, or make your own at home.
- Add one cup of coffee and scoop of Cold Brew Latte in a shaker bottle and shake it vigorously so it mixes well. If you have a frother, we suggest frothing it so that it mixes better and adds a frothy layer on top.
- Add 1/2 or 1/3 cup of plant-based milk to make it extra creamy (optional).
- Add a few ice cubes and enjoy!
Chocolate Cheesecake Hot Coffee:
- Make your coffee as you normally would and leave some room at the top.
- Add a scoop of Chocolate Cheesecake in your coffee, and mix by using a spoon or a frother.
- We suggest adding 1/3 or 1/4 cup of plant-based milk or creamer to make it creamier.